I seriously cannot make this story up. Really.

File May 18, 4 39 14 PMSo if you follow along with my family and me here on Surviving Mommy.com or follow me on social media, you know that lately, life has not been a walk in the park. A little over a week ago, we had to call 911 because my Momma Jane couldn’t breathe and ended up spending the last week in the hospital. She recently came home, yay!, but we are still waiting for the results of some lung tests they did to get to the bottom of what really is ailing her. Because that is not enough, our 10 yo has been trying to shake a cough the last few weeks which now has made it’s way to me. So now, I have been sick as a dog the last few days overlapping with my mom coming home trying to heal.

And because all of THAT isn’t enough, this morning I had to call 911. AGAIN! For my husband!!! This is where I will give you the WARNING! WARNING! What happened next is not for the faint of heart so please discontinue reading if that is you.

OK. Here we go.

Shortly after 5am, I got awake. I noticed the light on in our bathroom and figured my husband was in the bathroom presumably getting ready for work because he goes to work pretty early. I rolled back over thinking yay, I don’t have to get up until 630am. A few minutes later I heard a VERY loud crash. I paused thinking, what in the heck did he knock over in the bathroom of all places?! I got up, walked into the bathroom and opened the door to find my husband on the floor, blood everywhere. Like a crime scene. He wasn’t moving or responding to my yelling for him to wake up. Because there was blood all over his face and the floor, it was hard to rationally assess what happened so I just kept yelling and yelling for him to wake up. I didn’t want to move him. I thought…what if he broke his neck? What if he had an aneurysm. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED! I went flying into our bedroom and into our hallway to grab the home phone. I guess I thought it was 1997 or something because I thought I should grab the home phone instead of my cell so that 911 could find me. Oy. I was screaming into the phone telling the nice woman at 911 I needed an ambulance because my husband was bleeding and not moving. Just so you have some understanding. I am so USUALLY completely calm in ALL situations like this. I think clearly, calmly, rationally…but not this morning. This was my husband. the father of my children, the love of my life and I was completely scared to death.

While all of this was going on, my husband started to slowly open his eyes. Right about this time, our ten year old started to walk into the bathroom and without hesitation, I magically smiled and said in a 100% completely calm voice…”Hi honey, Daddy isn’t feeling well and I had to call a Doctor, please go back to your room and back to sleep and Mommy will be there in just a minute.” I guess all of those trips to Disney have paid off because I sounded like a Disney Princess when I spoke to her.

While on the phone with 911, I said that I thought his nose was broken which would have explained some of the blood. The rest of the blood I figured was coming from the gash in his lip. He started to come to and was able to sit up. The paramedics arrived and determined his vitals were fine but that we should transport him to a hospital. I woke up my sweet neighbor Sandy and asked her to come take care of the girls. We seriously have AMAZING neighbors. I didn’t want to wake up my Momma Jane because I am more concerned with her resting and healing. However, my mom and Miss. Sandy were rock stars this morning getting both of the girls off to school. We haven’t had very good experiences with hospitals lately so we chose to drive ourselves to the hospital of our choice and that meant a drive into the city from where we live in the country. We arrived to the ER at Northside Hospital and of course as usual, they were AWESOME! They did a CT on his head, took some labs and it turns out he broke his nose. He got four stitches on his nose and six in his lip. Good gravy! They said he would have to consult a plastic surgeon so I immediately texted Dr. Kavali. She did my Breast Cancer reconstructive surgery and is a friend. He is going to see her on Friday. He was a champ getting those stitches and throughout the whole horrible morning really. I, on the other hand totally burst into tears every time he looked at me and that has continued the entire rest of this day. The thought of something happening to my best friend was almost too much to bear.

Turns out they think he might have something called Vasovagal Syncope. So you don’t have to “google it” like I did, basically “Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope. The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness. Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it’s possible you may injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode. Your doctor may recommend tests to rule out more serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders.” (From: MayoClinic.org) I mean WHAT IN THE WORLD?!

So we were discharged with some pain medicine and antibiotics and I knew he was starting to feel a little better because he said he was starving and wanted to go to Chick-Fil-A. Smart man!

I walked in the house with my husband AND to a phone call from my oldest daughter’s school. She was feeling sick and needed me to pick her up. All I could do was laugh because all I wanted to do was crawl into bed, have a total emotional breakdown and go to sleep. I brought her home and all three of us got into our beds for a two hour nap. Not before I said my 97th prayer to God thanking him for saving my husband this morning. So if see me at Kroger or Target over the nest few days and I randomly burst into tears while talking to you, it’s because I am so overcome with gratitude that my husband is ok and it has made also me super overcome with emotion. I am hoping a few days from now and once I get to feeling better my emotional outbursts will stop. lol

Two weeks from Saturday, we are supposed to leave for a Caribbean cruise with Carnival Cruise Lines. All I can think of is beaches, food, sleep and most importantly, uninterrupted quality time with my husband and our family. We have been looking forward to this family Summer vacation since the beginning of the year and boy, will we surely be appreciating it!!

XO Surviving Mommy


, ,
, ,


  • joey fortman says:

    OMGOSH CINDY!! Bless your sweet heart! THat is so scary!

  • Hope says:

    Cindy, that is SO scary !!! Something like that happened once to my husband – I walked from my home office into the great room and saw him get up from the sofa & then drop back down to the sofa & he was out !! I ran to the phone (landline like you LOL) called 911 & was crying into the phone for an ambulance – the 911 operator asked if he was breathing – I had to run back to where he was ….. and saw him walking in to the kitchen !!! I told him to sit down – an ambulance was on the way – he asked “why?” Had no idea what happened & was upset that I had called 911 !! He was taken to the hospital & tests were run – but no real reason for that happening was found. All worked out fine & it never happened again – thank goodness but I can remember my fear as if it was yesterday!

  • Jennifer Williams says:

    Holy cow! My hubby had something like that over the New Year holiday few years back. He had an allergic reaction to Z-Pac and fainted twice within a couple of hours. He looked like he had been in a bar fight. Lol The first time he was on the toilet (TMI I know) and fell face first on the floor and got rug burn. He woke up to the cats looking at him funny. Then second time he was walking and fell backwards and whacked his head on his 45 lb metal dumbbell. THATS when the ambulance got called!
    I’ll be praying your hubby heals quickly, and you don’t have any repeats of this morning!

  • Devoria Hall says:

    Cindy I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. I can only imagine how you’re feeling right now. You and your husband and your mom are all in my thoughts and prayers.

  • Good golly, woman. I hope y’all start feeling well.

  • My chin just hit the keyboard! You poor thing! Your poor hubby, too! I call for no more medical excitement in your daily life. Sending love and prayers.

  • Oh my goodness, how scary! I’m glad he was ok! Enjoy your cruise, we are going on a Caribbean cruise in July!

  • Kristen says:

    I honestly think you are one of the strongest people I know. You have had 100 opportunities to ask me to bring you food…watch the girls…ANYTHING…and all you kept saying over the past week is “just prayers”. I love you. I’m here for you (and so are the dozens of people you step up for on the regular). I mean…who agrees to a phone chat when she doesn’t even have a voice?!?!? That girl…that girl right there (I’m pointing at you). 🙏🏻💗

  • Cynthia Quick says:

    Praying you and your family heal and enjoy some fun (and healthy!) together time on your cruise! 🙏🏻💕

  • Sandra Boyett says:

    Cindy, your life is as chaotic as ours health wise. Please make sure you take time to take care of you. Praying for all of you.

  • Erica says:

    My uncle had that same thing happen to him! It’s so scary!!

  • Catie Smith says:

    Hey Cindy,

    First, kudos to you for keeping your cool in most situations. I especially liked the Disney princess voice you used when talking to your daughter… Haha! I imagined a sweet Cinderella or Snow White voice when reading that part! You have been through so much, not just recently, but in the past few years. I really admire your strength and courage. I hope that if I ever have to go through anything like that I can find the courage to be as strong as you are!
    Second, we had a similar situation happen to my husband a few years ago. He got up in the morning and went to the bathroom. He didn’t close the door all the way, just a slight crack. All of a sudden I heard the sound of him falling and the door slamming! It took all I had to get the door open enough where I could squeeze in. Scared to death I started putting his face calling his name (OK, maybe I was screaming his name!). When he didn’t answer I started patting a little harder and eventually after what felt like forever, but was really only a minute or so, he came to. The hospital told us it was the same thing your husband had. No other incidents since, and thank goodness he didn’t hurt himself when he fell. I seriously would have freaked out if I had seen blood like you had to see!
    I hope your hubby feels better soon and tell him good luck at his Dr. Appt later this week. I’m sure they will get him all fixed up!
    I hope Momma Jane feels tons better soon, and I hope you and Lily feel back to normal soon as well. Get lots of rest. I’m sure all this stress isn’t helping your cold! You and your family are in my prayers to get well soon….and before your cruise!!
    Take care!

  • Megan says:

    I am with you friend! Let me know how I can help. Will have loads of chigger remedy on hand so at least we are prepared for that.

  • Michele says:

    What a pitiful picture of your sweet hubby! You do know that the black eyes will soon follow. At least that is what I have seen with people who break their nose. That will definitely be a sight! God bless you and your sweet family. Praying you all get this out of your system before your trip! Yeah, that’s what it is! God it taking care of everything that could go wrong now so that you will be able to have a wonderful trip! God Bless! Keeping all of you in my prayers!

  • Heather says:

    I can totally relate my late husband had vasal vega syncope and my 11 year old daughter has it as well. It is very scary when they have an ‘episode’ but the good news is it is controllable, by medication or focusing closely on your body signals and being aware of your triggers. I’d be happy to talk if you ever need an empathetic ear or just have questions!
    Praying for CALM and days of being at HOME for all of you!!

  • All I can say in response to this, Cindy: There’s NEVER a dull moment in your household. I’m sure you’re hoping for one, though. Ya’ll get better soon…..and hurray that Eric wasn’t more seriously injured!

  • Danielle . says:

    Wow! That’s scary.

    I totally know what you mean about usually being a calm person but losing cool when something happens to your husband.

    I’m the same way – totally cool & collected in any other emergency, talking rationally to 911, etc, but when it’s my husband that’s in trouble, I get scared.

    He fainted once a few days before our wedding in a restaurant with me & my parents. He was OK (Dr.s still think it was a freak thing not indicative of anything else) but boy was it scary.

    Good for you to be able to be calm for your daughter!

    Hope you’re able to rest and re-charge on sleep before your vacation.

  • Gina says:

    O my goodness! So happy everything turned out ok for your husband. Praying it all calms and you get to enjoy a beautiful vacation together. Much love to you all.

  • Donna Hodgson says:

    Same thing happened to my son in the bathroom 4 years ago and he fell and hit his head from
    Fainting. Glad he is ok !

  • Caroline Kinsey says:

    My daughter had it the 1st time after she got 2 shots in her wrist, not knowing what it was at the time she was on crutches and passed out at the doctors office. More recently she had knee replacement surgery and was unwrapping her knee when she felt hot, cold, like she was going to vomit and then passed out. I finally got her to come too but I must have screamed her entire name forever. This then when on to happen 2 more time, by then I had called 911. Gave them the code to my garage and told them to let themselves in. I had 2 dogs locked in a closet and a standard poodle who would not leave her side. By the time we got her to the ER she was responsive and all was good, after thousands of dollars of test we found out she has vasel vegal and hopefully she would out grow it. 😊 Praying mama Jane recovers and that Eric gets better soon
    And has no more issues. Great job on Disney Princess! Hang in there the cruise is just around the corner!!!

  • OH MY GOSH!!!!

    So scary.

    I’ve passed out several times from panic attacks and fortunately I’ve never gotten hurt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *